The Erica

Erica is a leader. She is not a leader because she wants to be. She is not a leader because she tries to be. In fact, the most beautiful part of all of this is that years ago, she actually would have preferred to not be a leader, at least not in the role she is currently in. Erica's leadership reminds me of James 5:13, which says, "Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom." Being a leader is not just about goal setting and accomplishments, and I learned that from Erica. She is gentle in her leadership, she is intentional and she is relational. She is not demanding, but instead she is rooted in His word and pours it out onto those around her, naturally. You notice her being a leader by the way she lives for Jesus.

Erica became a part of my life in 2015. We spent a week in Haiti together that summer. I was still in high school, and as we were serving together, I knew that I wanted to be able to connect with her more. Throughout the week, multiple of our youth leaders recognized something unique in Erica as well, and we all began to express how badly we wanted her to start volunteering in youth ministry when we returned home after Haiti.

Flash forward, we convinced her! This is the part of the story that truly shows that God has His hand in everything: Erica felt as if she did not belong as a leader in youth ministry. As with anyone who starts something unfamiliar, this was a new field for her. Looking back on her first night as a volunteer with youth group, so much has grown. Erica is now the one the girls go to for advice, comfort, and friendship. She is so selfless with her time and energy when it comes to these girls and it is inspiring. She shows that our daily lives, business, our desires or our limited energy sources are not more important than the lives of these students.

I was so fortunate to have been directly discipled by Erica. I cannot pinpoint exactly where it started, but that is what I mean when I say that God has his hand in EVERYTHING. All the way back to being in Haiti trying to convince Erica to be a youth leader, to myself now following in the groundwork of disciple making that she has laid for me to follow, multiplication is happening. I am starting to go out and follow Erica's lead. Erica is continuing to pour into the lives of the students.

Matthew 28:19-20  says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of age." Erica demonstrates this verse. She has been an example to me of what it looks like to carry out the great commission. And through this, she makes a great leader. She makes a great leader because I know that she would not take any credit for this! She would simply state that she has remained faithful and follows where the Lord sends her. She trusts the last part of verse 20, "I am with you always, to the end of age." That faith is what makes her a great leader. I am beyond thankful to learn from her.

"The Erica" is a simple style. It can be dressed up or it can be dressed down. It reflects Erica's quality of remaining true to herself throughout every situation. Cheesy, I know - most of these posts are. But, it is true and my goal is that these cheesy connections give you subtle reminders whenever you wear the earrings.

When you wear the Erica, I want you to remember the great commission. I want you to remember your identity in Jesus. It is the single greatest identity you could ever have and I encourage you to stand firm in that. I pray that you are challenged in your faith to put your limited energy and your daily life to the side to serve others in the name of Jesus. Be encouraged to reach out to a friend, to encourage them, to meet them where they are. I hope that these earrings can bring you to remember the importance of faith, friendship, forgiveness, humility and community because those are all qualities that I get to learn from Erica.


Comments